Triptych Reflection

The three images in my triptych for “still life” are all collages of things that are an important part of my life. The first image is a collection receipts from various purchases. I was given a tin by my girlfriend a few years ago to store all of the receipts I have collected over the years. I collect receipts because I feel that they create something of a timeline. Every receipt has the date, time and location on it, which I can use to look back fondly on the memory of making the purchase.

The second image is a collection of PS1, Ps2, Ps4, PC and Nitendo 3DS games that I own. I have been an avid gamer for over a decade and have many fond memories playing video games. I have kept almost all of the games that I have purchased over the years the same way that keeps a collection of films or books.

The third picture in the triptych is a collection of items that my girlfriend, Beth, has made for me. We have been together for three years and arts and crafts is a hobby of hers, so she often makes me various things as gifts. She is a big part of my life hence why her picture is in the center, surrounded by the various things she has made for me.

I initially struggled with this project at first because I couldn’t find an inspiration. I found my inspiration when my tutor for photography, Ros, was showing us examples of still life triptychs. One of the examples she showed us was an image of a collection of items that were, in some way or another, important to the photographer. It was this image that inspired me to create my own collections of items that were important to me.